Monday, June 6, 2005

[T-4 Yrs] Miracle Drugs (NOT)

By now, I knew that I was losing the struggle with CPAP. The Stanford Sleep Study put me on a research drug called R-modafinil which is basically a long acting version of Provigil. The study called for volunteers and I was desperate to try anything. Interestingly enough I found an old article in Time which claimed it to be a miracle drug. This was a drug given to fighter pilots on mission critical flights or for soldiers in combat where they had to for several days without sleep. The drug was supposed to transform society and change the future of mankind!

This drug was pretty nasty to me. The drug would not let me sleep as it was a stimulant, but I would be dead tired. In spite of the drug, I would fall asleep on my desk at work with sheer exhaustion. It was pretty nasty. The doc told me to stick with it as he said that I would adapt to it.

Well, one fine day, I started developing a severe pain in the heart. Several hours later, it was still hurting like crazy in my heart muscle. I ended in the hospital emergency, luckily the hospital confirmed that I was not having a heart attack. I stopped the drug and dropped out of the study. A day later my pain in the heart went away. That was the end of my experiments with drugs for sleep apnea.

No comments:

Post a Comment