Saturday, October 3, 2009

[T+10 days] MMA Tips

Over the past few days, I have heard a number of tips from "veterans" which I am compelled to share. As always, consult your doc for your own specific situation.
  1. Get your post-surgical prescription pain medicine meant for home use before your surgery. Some medicines such as Oxycodone may have a national back-order and you do not want to be stuck in pain trying to find a pharmacy which stocks it.
  2. Get your teeth cleaned before surgery (Shelby's blog). It will be hard enough to clean teeth after surgery first via salt water rinses, later via water pik and even later via baby tooth brush. It helps to ward off secondary infections of the mouth.
  3. Dr. Riley's suggestion on showering twice a day after surgery. The moisture in the shower really helps the nose.
  4. Very important to take maximum pain medications during recovery. Get ahead of the pain and stay ahead (Susan's suggestion). I had heard this numerous times but did not quite get it. I was trying to "finesse" the pain medications and unnecessarily suffering. Besides the pain does not help healing.
  5. Get enough calories (Roger Arrick's suggesion), so as not to lose weight. I thought losing weight after surgery was a bonus. NOT! The body needs all the right calories and nutrition to help heal faster.
  6. Icing the face, works better than ice, pea or gel bags (Pinski's suggestion).
    Well, the gell bags are good, but I just found it easier to get the quart size (heavy duty) Ziploc bags and fill 2 of them with 1 part rubbing alcohol to 3 parts water. Then, put each of them in another separate ziploc bag (to keep them from leaking). I also taped them shut as well as zipping them shut. Then, put them in the freezer. They will get really cold but will not freeze solid..just be slushy, and will conform to your face better. I used a simple thin tea towel (but an old piece of thin bedding sheet would work also) to wrap them in, with just one layer between the ice bag and your face and pulled it up and tied it up at the top of my head.

    Other tips at:

    Sleep Net Pre-MMA Tips






2 comments:

  1. Your post surgery swelling does not look that bad. In fact I would have to say the you your post surgery face looks younger then your pre surgery face. I hope you are felling better everyday.

    Dominic, 1 year post MMA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dominic,

    Thanks for your kind comments, I left a couple 11d pics. I am feeling much better now, the swelling is mostly around my upper lip. I presume it will go down considerably after my arch bars are removed at about 4 wks. BTW, I had left some comments on your blog to which there was no reply.

    -theDreamer

    ReplyDelete