Thursday, October 8, 2009

[T+2wks] Definitely around the corner

2 weeks, its a whole new world. I am so tempted by real food when I see the family eating. Other day I saw my son eating home made pizza's, oh looked so delicious. I also desparately want to get rid off the arch bars, but this is a couple weeks away.

Sleep: Very erratic. Sleeping at different times of the day and night. Too early to draw any conclusions. Recently started sleeping horizontal on the pillow (no sitting up, Yay!). The jolts which used to wake me up, gradually subsided and are now gone. The fog which dogged me for most of my life when I wake up is now gone. I have experienced this only a few times on my life including after phase 1, so no celebrating yet.

Diet: Still mostly on liquid diet. Mostly homemade soups and mike shakes with the protein powder infusion. The milk and egg protein powder lends itself to less taste than the whey powder, it also seems to have more protein. So that is definitely the winner. Looking forward to more culinary adventures next week. Still have occasional drooling. The sensation in my mouth is still not quite there. My son made a chocolate mousse for my birthday, I could it go real silky and all, but I could taste the chocolate only partway. I will count my blessings.

Swelling:  Down 90%+ as of today. Still little swollen around my upper lips, will get better when they take my arch bars down. Still feel a lot of numbness and soreness around both the right upper and lower lip, also right cheek. Left side of face is much better, almost normal.

Energy: Got adventurous enough to try to walk a couple of miles to school with my daughter on International walk day. Got real tired. Came back and took an hour's nap. Took out garbage and reclaimed my manly duty!

Speaking: Not supposed to talk much, this is okay as I more of a quiet type. No slurring detected so far, though it is hard to talk with rubber bands.

Pain:  Only taking two Advils, 2 or 3 times a day. Apparently I cannot be too casual about them, or the pain does come back.

I must say that I am extremely pleased with Dr. Sesso (partner of Dr. Riley and Powell) on the post-surgical care and pain management. He promptly returns phone calls on any questions we have. I get invited to his office daily if I wanted to, to clean out the nose, ask questions or just complain. I have always felt like "royalty" after meeting with him. This has happened after both my phase 1 and phase 2 surgeries, so he is a real keeper.

All in all, it looks like a classic MMA surgery recovery so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment