Tuesday, October 13, 2009

[T+3wks] Uneventful

Finally the last rubber band came off today and Dr. Riley said that I could go home and practice twice a day mouth opening exercises twice a day. He also set my arch bars and the suspension wires removal on Oct 27, the 5 wk mark. I was hoping for 4 wks but I'll be okay with 5 weeks. He said that right after the arch bars removal, I'll be able to eat flaky salmon, of course I'm vegetarian :-), so I'll look to the 7.5 wk mark where he said I could anything including French bread. I'm sure that my now everyday dreams will be filled with luscious sandwiches.

Dr. JC who was one of the doctors who saw my surgery described it as uneventful, which is great in surgical terms. However Dr. Sesso said that while the left side was straightforward, the right side was "technically" more challenging. I definitely feel it a lot more on the right side of the face both in terms of numbness, swelling and soreness. Still I am now able to sleep horizontal on the pillows, survive on 2 doses of 2 Advil's a day. MaryLynn with Dr. Riley's office said that I was one of the easiest patients around, since I hardly call their office. Today I woke up before the 7am alarm. That's a miracle, rarely has it happened in my life. Of course, its too early to prejudge sleep. Energy continues to be low, still crashing ocassionally at odd hours.

I am now able to open my mouth a good one inch, wolf down soft rice with some spicy pulverized vegetarian dishes with a baby spoon. This is such a welcome relief from just doing soups and shakes. And oh yes, coffee! Last week, my wife was so happy that she drove me down to "Barefoot Coffee" my favorite coffee shop in the whole wide world. I had "Symphony in C" (Decaf). I could not feel the entire spectrum of taste as before but boy what a treat!

Swelling is down quite a bit. However my nose continues to be flared up with wide at the bottom nostrils. This probably is the biggest contributor a different appearance so far. My ever-truthful neice of 12 yrs old who saw me for the first time a few days ago, described my appearance as "freakish". Almost the same uncle but quite different as well. Of course, adults are more diplomatic. They always say nice things on my face. Later however I find that they have remarks like "Will we ever see his old self again", "I didn't expect him to look that different" etc. Nothing nasty, but enough to jar the pschylogical feel of oneself.

Was able to hold my concentration enough to finish reading Fareed Zakaria's "The Post-American World" in bits and pieces. Count down for 2 weeks when the suspension wires and arch bars will be removed at Stanford outpatient under a local anasthetic. Can't wait for that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment