Wednesday, October 28, 2009

[T+5wks] Arch bars off

Yesterday, I spent pretty much the day going into Stanford, checking in, donning the designer gown, getting knocked out. The anasthelogist used me as a human pin cushion, he came up empty on the first three veins before he found a vein suitable for a one year old to knock me out. This is probably because I did not have enough fluids in my system. The hospital says that you are not supposed to have anything to drink or eat after midnight, but he actually gave me clearance to drink clear fluids till 10am. Then the hospital advanced my time because of a cancellation (which never materialized) and I was too scared to drink water. In retrospect I should have had plenty of water that morning. They put some local anaesthetic in my mouth as well, removing the arch-bars was trivial. Had to stay in the hospital for an hour after the procedure before my wife drove me home.

So how do I look? I posted some photographs on the gallery. I am growing increasingly comfortable about my appearance. Even my wife and daughter who thought my nose got flattened real bad, say that I am looking better after the arch-bars are removed. Hope to get better in the next month or two. Dr. Riley said that there was a office procedure to "fix" my nose but said that he used it only 1% of the time. I hope to be in the other 99%.

Sleep continues to be erratic. Most days are good, I am able to sleep about 8.5 hours, waking up reasonably clear headed and no afternoon naps. I would call it a success. Some days its been same same old, with 10 hrs of sleep, waking up lethargic. This brings back bad memories. Of course there is no work load, so its way too early to judge. One thing I notice is that pre-surgery my dreams used to get terminated prematurely, but now have gotten real long, the stories in my dreams come to a full end. The dreams are chained as well, a new one starts after the previous one ends.

Energy is still about 60%. I did a fairly big hike with lots of stops to catch my breath. I am hoping to really work on fitness now. Hopefully start using some light weights as well.

Hello, hello, hello! Some words are difficult for people to follow, especially on the phone. I have to concentrate on it and repeat. Somewhat frustrating but hopefully will clear out soon.

Having the arch-bars off is real cool, more importantly the suspension wires. The suspension wires were the ones really contributing to the inflammation and the altered look. After removing them, I see inflammation and cuts in my gums. Teeth feel real wooden, especially the front teeth. Dr. Riley says that it might take 6 months to resolve. Hopefully this will be sooner. I still feel numb around my right side of the face, especially the lower jaw. There has been a big improvement in the last couple of weeks.

Dr. Riley cleared me for some light chewing this weekend. Looking forward to eating some Gnocchi, the insides of a burrito, Indian Idli and Sambar, Persian Bagholo Polo and Kashk-E-Bademjan in my favorite restaraunts. Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment