Monday, December 28, 2009

[T+3mos] So did the surgery fix the problem?

By far every conversation about my surgery ends with this question. The conversation begins with why I had this surgery.

Early on, I used to explain that it was sleep related, I had a condition called sleep apnea, blah, blah, blah ... and I learnt very quickly that most people simply did not understand the problem. The most notable reaction was that they knew so many people who snored or had some form of sleep apnea and they were confused on why I would undertake such a major surgery. Thanks to "pjgirl" and "sleepyhead" rather than talk about sleep issues, I now explain that I had a very narrow airway at the base of my tongue, about 4 mm compared to a normal person of about 10 mm and that the airway collapses when I sleep and people could potentially die of this condition. That's it, people get it! They quickly move on to talk about how I look after surgery etc.

So did the surgery fix the problem? I still don't know how to answer the question. I try explaining that it is a complex problem involving both physical and neurological conditions. The physical condition might have been fixed but the neurological condition may take a while to clear as I have had this problem since childhood. There is something called an overnight sleep test, I need to take it again, I could do it in 3 months, but I am not rushing it. Blah, Blah, Blah ... again I have lost most people. I still need to work on this answer because this question comes up time and time again.

Other than that I am progressing well. used to snore lightly before and after phase 1 surgery. Now my wife says that I sleep without a peep. My fitness is equal to that of prior-surgery. I am jogging regularly again at least four days a week. I am able to climb the nearby hiking trails relatively easily where I used to struggle till about a couple of weeks ago. My upper chin pain has resolved completely, my lower chin pain and the wooden teeth feeling are both improving. Being a foodie, I am so glad that my taste has not been affected at all!

One new problem which surfaced in the last couple of months is that the lower jaw sometimes locks up and there is a sharp pain in the muscle over the lower left jaw's surgical cut. This is very disconcerting. The problem usually happens late in the night or early morning. I have been advised a warm compress and facial massage, potentially even physical therapy. Luckily so far I am able to unlock within a few seconds. Not sure if it is a TMJ issue or a musculature problem. Hopefully will resolve over time.

Its the time of holidays. On days when there is apnea fog and my head is clear, I can't help but give thanks and hope the progress continues.

2 comments:

  1. I have just been told by Dr RIley that I need this surgery. Was wondering how long before you were able to return to work, and how long before you were able to talk normally?

    Tony

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took about two months to go back to work, though I know of people who did it in a month. I could have gone back in a month if I had a gun to my head. I probably could speak perhaps with an ocassional slur within a week, but chose to stay quiet to accelerate healing. I don't think I would have been able to give a long presentation for the first month or so.

    Good luck, Tony!

    ReplyDelete