Sunday, May 9, 2010

[T+7mos] Not completely cured

MMA seems like an eternity ago though its been only 7 mos. I am already beginning to forget a lot of my recovery details. What a blessing.

So after taking my own sweet time for a post-op sleep study, I went into the new Stanford facility in Redwood City. Seemed more like a 3-star hotel, than a sleep center. The attendants told me that the sensors were the same, but there was upgraded software and hardware. I asked them if the baseline was the same as before, and they assured me of the same.

Got the results back, RDI is at 15, before phase 2 surgery it was at 31, before phase 1 it was 26. Lowest oxygen saturation is at 92%, previously was at 90%.  Soreness in my lower left lip, numbness in my upper gums remain which seem typical for a person at this stage after MMA. Still getting used to my changed appearance, and yes I have heard everything from "you look younger" to people not recognizing me.

All TMJ issues have completely disappeared. I can happily chomp on an apple for many months now. At work, they make this giantly thick subs with all the veggies in it. No problem wolfing it down. I seem to be also be able to thrust my lower jaw forward without any problem. 
 
So how do I feel subjectively? Afternoon somnolence has disappeared largely. I feel a lot more energetic, concentration levels are higher. Somedays I have been able to put in over 18 hours of work! However I am still tired in the mornings typically after 9 hours of sleep though not as much as before.

Net results? Considering that I have had this problem all my life, this is a huge step forward. At the same time, I am a bit disappointed that my problems have not disappeared like many other peoplewho had MMA.MMA was reported to have cured more than 90% of the people, with cure defined as <5 RDI. I don't see this on the sleepnet forum, though most people are happy to get a significant (?) improvement.

Having fired my biggest salvo with MMA, not sure what else I can do. Definitely not going back on CPAP again, also hopeful of no more surgeries.

Need to think about the game plan moving forward. Sleep hygiene is not too bad, though it could be better. It is hard not to work or watch TV late into the night. Taking "Flonase" when allergies are bad, and this seems to make me much less tired in the morning.

The adventure for getting near "normal" continues!!!

1 comment:

  1. I have been following your blog closely - thank you for creating it. I had the mma surgery on 1/12/2010 with Dr. Li. My sleep has improved greatly but I don't feel that it is 100%. I am trying to be patient and hope both of us are successful.

    ReplyDelete